- This event has passed.
CANCELLED Masonville Cove BioBlitz – Sat. morning 9/23 9A-2P
September 23 @ 08:30 - 14:00
CKC Members can RSVP here to reserve a CKC kayak at UA TidePoint and paddle over as a group to Masonville Cove. This is a longer paddle than most of our paddle pals, and is comparable to paddling to Hart Miller island.
=> OR Drive to Masonville Cove Campus, 1000 Frankfurst Ave, Baltimore, MD 21226, USA (near Curtis Bay) and just interact with the onsite BioBlitz exhibits on land with or without reservations.
Celebrate Urban Wildlife Conservation Day at Masonville Cove! Take a walk outside and discover the nation’s first Urban Wildlife Refuge Partnership in the heart of Baltimore City. Explore 70 acres of water and 54 acres of restored wetlands and nature trails. At the National Aquarium’s tenth annual BioBlitz event, you will work with wildlife experts and community volunteers to find, identify and record plant and animal species at Masonville Cove.
Registering for the BioBlitz at the Aqua.org website is preferred but not required. Those who register will receive a briefing packet with more information the week of the event. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-659-4249 for more information.0
Urban Wildlife Conservation Day is hosted by the Masonville Cove Partnership. In addition to the BioBlitz, activities will include onsite kayaking, bird banding, monarch butterfly tagging, fishing, Captain Trash Wheel activity station, riding tours of the dredge material containment facility and more!
Those who wish to the onsite guided kayak tour must register to kayak in advance for the tour
=> OR Register for an Masonville Cove onsite Guided Kayak Tour (Only 2 sessions: 9A-10:30A Or 12 noon-2:30P – Max. 18 per session) in advance for an on the water tour of Masonville Cove. When onsite, Kayak tour participants receive beginner-level instruction in how to safely kayak in Masonville Cove. While paddling, learn some local history about the Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail from National Park Service Rangers. Tandem (2-person) kayaks and guided instruction provided by the experienced and licensed kayak outfitter, Ultimate Watersports. Each registered individual may claim a maximum of ONE ticket. Participants will be placed on a waitlist before final confirmation.
- Tandem (2-person) kayaks provided by Ultimate Watersports.
- Beginner kayakers are welcome, but this activity is suitable only for those who do not fear the water.
- Please note that there is a 200 lb. INDIVIDUAL WEIGHT LIMIT for kayaks, and PARTICIPANTS MUST BE AT LEAST 13 YEARS OLD. Kayak participants younger than 16 years old must be accompanied by an adult who has kayaked before.
- Closed-toe shoes are REQUIRED for participation.
- All participants must sign waivers.
- If you need to cancel, please notify us immediately so we can make your slots available for others – this event is in high demand!
- Weather Notice: The kayaking program will be canceled/postponed if environmental conditions (weather, water quality) pose any potential health concerns. Even if the weather is beautiful on the event day, water quality may be impacted by heavy rains earlier in the week. If we need to cancel, an email will be sent to the address provided during registration. Please check your messages 24 hours before the event and before arriving.
- THERE WILL NOT BE A RAIN DATE FOR THIS EVENT. If it is canceled, you will no longer have a kayaking spot. Look for additional kayaking events in the future!
We are thrilled to have you join us! Please call 301-281-1755 with any questions or concerns regarding the event..